RPM International Inc.
What is RPM?
RPM International Inc. is an American multinational company that owns subsidiaries that are world leaders in specialty coatings and sealants. The company operates through three segments: industrial, consumer and specialty. RPM employs more than 14,500 people worldwide and operates 145 manufacturing facilities in 26 countries. Its products are sold in approximately 170 countries and territories.
What is the history of RPM?
The origin of RPM dates back to 1947 when the company Republic Powdered Metals was established. The company manufactured a heavy-duty aluminum roof coating called Alumanation, which is still sold today. In 1971, RPM, Inc. was formed to acquire leading companies in the paint and coatings industry. In 2018, after more than 70 years in business, RPM generated net sales of USD 5.3 billion (2018) and net income of USD 338 million (2018).
What are the values of RPM?
RPM is committed to ethical business through the training of employees of its subsidiaries to also requiring them to act according to the principles of RPM’s code of conduct, which is called “The Values and Expectations of 168.” The figure 168 represents the number of hours in the week. It was the favorite number of RPM’s founder and serves as a reminder that time is limited and should be used wisely in all our endeavors. Among the key principles of the code of conduct are:
- Responsible entrepreneurship
- Moral courage
What is the RPM strategy?
RPM identified five main strategies that are key to its continued success:
- Acquisitions: RPM conducts a strategic acquisition program that creates shareholder value by attracting successful entrepreneurial companies and product lines and applying a disciplined approach to investing in their continued growth.
- New Product Development: A major driving force behind its growth, RPM pioneers cutting-edge product innovations that are designed to penetrate new markets, drive sales growth and solve problems for its customers.
- The Value of 168: a philosophy that signifies RPM’s enduring commitment to conduct business the right way, with honesty and integrity, on behalf of its employees, customers and stockholders.
- Connections Creating Value: RPM promotes a culture of collaboration among its operating companies
- International Expansion: RPM continues to expand its global footprint – particularly in established European economies and emerging, high-growth markets.
FEMA and RPM
In 2011, the German high-quality specialty coatings company, FEMA was acquired by RPM. From 2017 onward, the promotion and growth of the FEMA brand has been under the direction of Dryvit Systems USA (Europe), an RPM subsidiary. FEMA products continue to be manufactured in Germany to the highest quality standards and Dryvit works closely with the valued Chinese distributor, Sichuan Feima Trading Co. Ltd. to ensure continued growth and success in the rapidly expanding Chinese market.